April 18 - BC Ferries

Now, I buy books pretty rarely on BC Ferries, ever since Jim Pattison pushed Duthie's Books off the gangplank and onto its long decline into its complete disappearance from BC's book scene (with an assist from Jack Munro, if commenter Janie Jones at position #1 is to be believed). However, I really had no choice but to pick up one of the newest offerings from the increasingly interesting Brindle & Glass publishers: Ann Eriksson's novel Falling from Grace ($19.95).

I haven't started reading it yet, but here's the back-cover description, which will explain why I needed it:
Every so often it's the little things in life that make all the difference--like chromosomes, sperm, tiny bugs, or an endangered seabird that nests in an old-growth forest. But what's big and what's little depends entirely on your perspective.

At three feet ten inches tall, Faye Pearson knows all about perspective. A scientist doing entomological research in the tallest trees on Vancouver Island, Faye struggles to function in a world not made for people her size. Whether she is standing up to a logging boss or nurturing a wayward child in the midst of an environmental standoff, you will be unable to take your eyes off of this remarkable woman.
More reviews coming once the marking is finished. I'm almost finished Melody Hessing's Up Chute Creek: An Okanagan Idyll, and Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island. (Spoiler: Bryson's funny, Hessing's earnest and interesting.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I thought Up Chute Creek was really original and lively, Richard, and will curious to hear what you think. I reviewed it for B.C. Studies (summer issue, I think) and had a hard time containing my comments to the usual word count.
Theresa
faehren said…
I am attempting to book seats/cabin on service Please advise me.

Popular Posts